Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Lunch Review #1: Philly Steak and Cheese

Clever.

Philly Steak and Cheese. As opposed to Philly Cheese Steak. I read ya.

The food: Philly Steak and Cheese sub, steak-fries, A&W Cream Soda in a bottle:



















The Place: Sizzling Express, 15th + K
The Price: $9.50
The Pre-Lunch Vibe: I was pretty hungry, and I didn't really care about spending a couple more bucks than normal since I felt vindicated in the light of the previous day's "piece of chicken w/ketchup" lunch that cost a whopping $0.00. Normally I don't get a philly cheese steak unless I'm at Pat's or Geno's in philly, but my coworker recommended it so I went for it.
The Review: Taking the "Philly" out of the name of this sub would make it much better, since, as mentioned above, philly cheese steaks just aren't the same outside of philly. The Philly Steak and Cheese Sub from Sizzling Express came with lettuce, tomato, green peppers, onions, mushrooms, and mayo atop the standard sliced ribeye and provolone cheese. It tasted okay. I mean it was good (the A&W, btw, was an excellent choice), but it's time to draw the line. A Philly Cheese Steak from anywhere but Philadelphia proper is a ruse, a Venus Flytrap, a shallow pond. You see, philly cheese steaks are precious gems of love, and if you go to philly and you have one there, you'll understand. things like lettuce, tomato, mayo, and even your cute little provalone cheese are basically unheard of in philly when it comes to steaks. In philly you're thrown a greasy basket with very thinly sliced steak in a pliable Pennsylvania whitebread with cheese wiz everywhere, and onions if you want them...and that's it. "That's it? where's the provalone? what's up with cheese wiz?! that's gross, Nathan." Get over it. What are you eating anyway? Cosi? oh that's cool. I'll just be over here eating something that doesn't cost $20 and is larger than a toenail and doesn't consist of alfalfa sprouts, imported mustard and "coastal flatbread." What does "Così" even mean? You don't even know, do you? maybe it's french for "tiny amount of expensive food." I prefer to eat at a place that doesn't require you to be pretentious in order to make it through the door. You make me sick.



...more lunchtime food reviews to come!

2 comments:

  1. go to the shop across from 1919 M Street, where I used to work (intersection 20 and M). It's a chinese take out place but the joint has a sandwich order area in the back. The philly cheese steak is cooked in front of you and you get tasty fries too. Cost: $6.50.

    ReplyDelete