Thursday, March 5, 2009

Look. See. Feel. Do.


Every morning I usually walk from Metro Center to my building in Gallery Place. It's like clockwork the way I walk down F Street and make a left at 6th, that most times I don't even think about it. Today I was stopped by a friendly older gentleman who was late for a job interview and he needed directions to a building that was near my office. I offered to walk with him.

He initiated a conversation with me about my usual commute and my occupation. He would sometimes stop in mid conversation to point out something he noticed. He would say something about the colors of buildings, or of street names, and he had a funny way of saying good morning or smiling at everyone that crossed our path. After I had walked him to his building I began to realize how many things I did not notice about my familiar walk, or even how many people I pass every morning.

Boredom of the familiar does not come from a fullness of knowledge, it comes from an overabundance of pride. This results in stagnant growth and the selfish pursuit of greener grasses. When pride closes your eyes you see nothing but your own superiority and your disdain for the unfamiliar grows, simply because it would be an insult for you to not know it. Only when you turn your head upward and open your eyes do you see the entirety of the ever expanding unfamiliar. You are precisely placed for purposes higher than conventional reason, so look around.

-Sher

5 comments:

  1. Well said.

    I have recently experienced that same feeling with Manassas.

    A mentor of mine invited me for breakfast at this pretty local, blue-collar restaurant. She mentioned as we walked in that one of the waitresses has worked there for 30 years and the same regulars are there everyday.

    When I drive around town, I'm beginning notice places and things that never came across my haughty little eyes. Here is a place I have always complained about, but when I actually notice the people and the things happening around me, I can just appreciate it for what it is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a bunch of cubes!

    what does this have to do with Shiloh? I don't understand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like sherwin's posts better than nathan's. I like stories instead of rants.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not to ruin nathan's day, but I have noticed this too.

    ReplyDelete